Monday, October 12, 2009

Kommifornistanis are losing what little 2A rights they still have left


Ammunition Bill Signed into Law

SACRAMENTO, CA - Before the midnight deadline, Gov. Schwarzenegger acted on 685 bills that were on his desk. He signed 456 and vetoed 229.

One of the bills that he signed was Assembly Bill 962. It requires handgun ammunition to be kept behind the counter where customers cannot access it without assistance. It also requires gun shop owners to thumbprint people who buy handgun ammunition, as well as record their identification and provide that information to police.

Schwarzenegger released a statement explaining why he signed the bill.

"To the Members of the California State Assembly: I am signing Assembly Bill 962.

This measure would require vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face to-
face transfer of ammunition sales.


Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder.

Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine. Unfortunately, even the most successful
local program is flawed; without a statewide law, felons can easily skirt the record keeping requirements of one city by visiting another. Assembly Bill 962 will fix this problem by
mandating that all ammunition vendors in the state keep records on ammunition sales.


As Governor, I have sought the appropriate balance between public safety and the right to keep and bear arms. I have signed important public safety measures to regulate the sale and transfer of .50 caliber rifles, instituted the California Firearms License Check program, and promoted the use of microstamping technology in handguns. I have also vetoed many pieces of legislation that sought to place unreasonable restrictions and burdens on firearms dealers and ammunition vendors.

Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill."

Click here for a full list of what bills the Governor signed and vetoed.



The information will undoubtedly be shared with the Department of Homeland Security to help identify more "right wing extremists".

(U//FOUO) Open source reporting of wartime ammunition shortages has likely spurred rightwing extremists—as well as law-abiding Americans—to make bulk purchases of ammunition. These shortages have increased the cost of ammunition, further exacerbating rightwing extremist paranoia and leading to further stockpiling activity. Both rightwing extremists and law-abiding citizens share a belief that rising crime rates attributed to a slumping economy make the purchase of legitimate firearms a wise move at this time.

Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms.

Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine.


Bullshit. Bullshit.

If I was a felon and I wanted to shoot people, I would just have someone else buy the ammo. Or I would steal it. Or I would drive to AZ, OR or NV to buy it. Or I would use an AK pistol (uses rifle ammo). Or I would just stab the person that I wanted to kill. Knife wounds can be more fatal anyways.

These laws will save 0 lives. What they will accomplish is making some stupid gun grabbing liberals feel like they accomplished something. So politically it may be worth something, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

6 comments:

  1. A) if you had someone else buy the ammo, that person is logged and recorded. Probably possible to connect the dots and make the connection.

    B) "You could drive to AZ, OR, or NV to buy it" Sounds like you're saying this strategy would have an impact if all states had this law. This is actually one of the reasons why I prefer things be handled by the state. It's hard to get things passed on a national level because there is always going to be significant disagreement without any solid proof of the effectiveness of any legislation. That's why it's great that individual states can allow gay marriage for example, and in a few years when all the states that allow gay marriage are doing well, increasing revenue and not turning into sodom and gomorrah, it will be pretty hard to deny it nationwide. Same with medical marijuana, minimum wage, gun laws, etc.

    I really don't see how this is cumbersome to the responsible consumer. What's the hardship in this? I doesn't sound like there is literally any difference in the consumer experience due to this law.

    I'm all for the second amendment, I like guns, undoubtedly not as much as you, but still. This sounds like less trouble than what I have to do to rent a keg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I gotta agree with Sengwad on this one.

    I don't really see how this is a problem. I have no problem with tracking how legal people do legal things. This is not a privacy issue. Its a 2nd Amendment issue and I don't think this violates or hinders it.

    As for gay marriage... whatever states/communities want to do. My personal feeling is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are insane.

    It hasn't started with Bill 962, and it won't end here. This is just one more way to chip away at their constitutional right to bear arms.

    "if you had someone else buy the ammo, that person is logged and recorded. Probably possible to connect the dots and make the connection."

    So they're going to investigate every person who has bought that caliber recently? Because maybe one of them gave the ammo to someone else? Don't you think that's treating gun owners like criminals? What if those people already fired off their ammo? Does that make the suspects?

    The only way they could connect the dots is another retarded California idea to put serial numbers on every bullet. Nobody would waste their money on that ammo. I don't even think manufacturers would want to produce that ammo. That's just another step towards banning guns entirely in California.

    "I don't really see how this is a problem. I have no problem with tracking how legal people do legal things. This is not a privacy issue. Its a 2nd Amendment issue and I don't think this violates or hinders it."

    Well everything you do is legal, so is it OK for the government to install GPS on your car and video cameras in your home? That's just "legal people doing legal things." And how does it not hinder their 2A rights? They can't buy ammo without being tracked like a sex offender. And who do you think will be obeying this law? Gangsters and murderers? No. There's a million ways around it. It serves no purpose.

    When you keep passing these retarded laws, you end up like California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually see the merit to this law (must gun laws are bs, but this makes some sense)

    If you agree that it is logical to track and document who buys guns I dont think tracking the ammo is any different.

    If you steal a gun, you'll have to buy bullets. If you think about committing a crime, you'll have to buy a lot of bullets. I think in a court of law this would be useful in proving intent. Also think it would help convict violent criminals buy tracking who and when they bought ammo.

    Its not OK for the government to install GPS in my car... but I have to register my car, I have to have a license to drive it, I can't speed, I can't drink and drive and I can't mod my car to the point that is wont pass emission standards.

    car manufactures already have installed GPS in cars and they already track where you go. I'm pretty the government has access to those satellites (since they own them) and I'm pretty sure that in a court of law they could subpoena the harddrive in the car.

    So to you point, driving a car is not like being tracked like a sex offender just like tracking ammo sales is also not like being tracked liked a sex offender.

    That is why I said I dont think its a privacy issue... its not a privacy issue I care about it. Its a public safety issue where I actually can see some merit.

    I'm against it, dont get me wrong, its just not the worst 2A law I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most crimes committed with stolen guns are committed with the bullets in the gun when it was stolen. If you knew anything about this issue, you would know that.

    And how many crimes are committed with "a lot of bullets"? Very few. If someone wants to commit a VA Tech style massacre (made possible by gun control), they will go through the trouble of acquiring a few boxes of illegal ammo. Most crimes are committed with either a few shots being fired, or no shots being fired.

    I think you guys are both under-informed and wrong on this issue.

    True "it's not the worst 2A law", but that doesn't mean it makes any sense or will save even a single life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plus how hard is it to find the perp after a massacre? They're usually dead right there with the victims.

    ReplyDelete