Friday, December 12, 2008

Auto Bailout Follow-Up

Following up on my comments in re: The Auto Caucus a few weeks ago, and my supposition that any republicans representing states with a presence of foreign auto plants would probably come out most strongly against the auto bailout while GOPers with strong ties to the Big Three found a way to support it.

Well I'm not shocked that Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Toyota Plant) as well as Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Hyundai Plant) and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Nissan Plant) don't like the auto bailout plan.

I can't say I'm happy that I was right. Follow the money, that's all that matters...

Clicky.

2 comments:

  1. Follow the money, that's all that matters...

    What up cynic?

    Has it ever occurred to you that their constituents work at these plants?

    Politicians have allegiance to the positions of their parties, but first and foremost they have allegiance to the people that they represent.

    I take issue with the fiscal and philosophical rationale for anyone backing a bailout for the auto industry. But I in no way believe there is some money trial here or that these senators are profiting from this.

    These guys are in the minority in their party for supporting it. They are going against the GOP in order to represent their constituents.

    Does the resident cynic have anything to say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're applying a very narrow definition of "follow the money." I'm not implying anyone is on the take, but it wouldn't surprise me, now that you mention it.

    Their constituents working at the plants is exactly what I was referring to. And whatever tax subsidies I'm sure those companies received for building in those particular states.

    Politicians have allegiance to the positions of their parties, but first and foremost they have allegiance to the people that they represent.

    Exactly. So much for core values.

    ReplyDelete